Wednesday 16 April 2008

Back to (UK) Blak



I can't recall how the conversation started, but a few days ago Rich and I were discussing how back in the 80's and early 90's there was a formidable Black British music scene. During this musical golden era we were producing music that was just as good as anything coming out of the USA. I'm talking about the Lovers Rock movement (distinctively British interpretation of reggae music), with artists like Louisa Marks, Carroll Thompson, Deborah Glasgow. And let's not forget about the good old 80's soul era with groups like Soul II Soul, Imagination, Loose Ends and Five Star (Yeah I said it! 'Let Me Be the One' was a choooon)! Then more recently we had Acid Jazz, popularised by The Brand New Heavies, Incognito and Young Disciples. But then it all went quiet. Don't get me wrong, we've had a few waves of excitement with Garage and Grime, but in my opinion they've hardly had the same impact. The music is by and large consumed by a niche market: young, British urbanites, and fails to connect too far beyond.

With this in mind I intend to take us down musical memory lane every so often to educate those who missed out the first time around (you poor things), as well as remind those of us old enough to remember how we used to get down on it. First up is my girl Janet Kay. In 1979 she sailed to the top of the UK national charts with the brilliantly produced, authentic Lovers Rock jam 'Silly Games'. There are very few songs that I can listen to over and over again and never tire of, and this song is definitely one of them. Janet still tours across the country with other graduates from the Lovers Rock era. And yes, she can still hit that high note. Enjoy!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a thirty-something African Caribbean female from South East London. My blog will shine a light on Black British culture offering the best in entertainment, fashion, beauty, community, film & music, with the occasional personal musing thrown in from yours truly. Thank you for taking out the time to peek into the pages of my diary. Now grab a cup of cocoa, relax and enjoy.