Thursday 10 July 2008

The Future: Jourdan Dunn




 
Have you seen these images from the new Top Shop campaign, featuring young black British model, Jourdan Dunn? I've been a Jourdan fan ever since discovering she was scouted in one of my favourite retail outlets - Primark (Don't laugh, the girl obviously has impeccable taste). She's also undoubtedly stunning. The fashion industry seems to agree with me on this one, affording her over 75 catwalk shows and cover spots on both American Vogue and Vogue Italia (the much hyped issue dedicated entirely to black models). Jourdan has that cool confidence that screams from the camera lens 'look... I know I'm hot'. I would have loved to have had that kind of confidence at that age. Heck, I'd love to have that kind of confidence now. I'm also really loving the positive example she's providing for young, black girls in the UK. At last they can pick up a glossy magazine such as Vogue or Elle and see the image of someone who looks just like them peering back at them. It kind of reminds me of what Naomi meant to me when I was growing up. Let's just hope that she refers to Ms Campbell's professional life, and not her personal one for a template.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a thirty-something African Caribbean female from South East London. My blog will shine a light on Black British culture offering the best in entertainment, fashion, beauty, community, film & music, with the occasional personal musing thrown in from yours truly. Thank you for taking out the time to peek into the pages of my diary. Now grab a cup of cocoa, relax and enjoy.